Senator Tony Avella's long record of accomplishments includes:
Helping Working Class Families
- Fought for the most comprehensive Paid Family Leave program in the country, with up to 12 weeks of paid leave from work to bond with a child or care for a loved one with a serious health condition
- Helped pass the SAFE Act, resulting in the strongest gun control law in the nation, sponsored legislation for waiting periods on obtaining firearms until background checks are completed, and co-sponsored red flag legislation to remove firearms from persons who are at extreme risk of killing someone.
- Worked with Mayor De Blasio to pass Universal Pre-K, with over 70,000 4-year olds now enrolled across the city, who will have access to quality early childhood education
- Voted to increase the minimum wage to $15 an hour
- Voted for Marriage Equality
Providing Tax Relief
- Voted to LOWER taxes for middle class families, the lowest amount in over 70 years
- Fought to keep seniors and disabled persons in their homes by increasing the income eligibility threshold and abatement homeowners and renters
- Passed legislation in the Senate to provide property tax breaks for co-op and condo owners, and to eliminate the minimum charge for water use
Improving Our Quality of Life
- Opposed hydrofracking to keep our drinking water safe
- Secured $100,000 this past year for graffiti removal
- Opposed the sale of public parklands to private developers, and won a lawsuit against the City to stop the sale of parkland in Willets Point without public approval
- Secured millions of dollars in funding of parks throughout the district and has fought to protect vulnerable spaces like Willets Point West, Flushing Meadow Park and Udalls Cove Park from overdevelopment and privatization.
- Lobbied the City to repair potholes, broken curbs and unsafe trees in a timely fashion and to be responsive to community requests for appropriate traffic controls.
Championing Ethics & Good Government Reform
- Worked with Governor Cuomo to pass on-time budgets and end legislative dysfunction
- Sponsored bills to ensure easier access to the voting booth including legislation for early voting, online voter registration, and no-excuse absentee voting
- Voted to strip corrupt public officials of their pension when convicted of a felony related to public office
- Advocated for and passed legislation to reform the Queens Public Library amid its recent scandals